Race to ‘-1’ : Day 353
Most types of plastic are a serious environmental challenge. Then why focusing on kitchen and food waste ?
Answer : Relationship which food has with each of us is rooted deeper. Even if that is true, thats is not the answer you would want to listen.
So lets put it this way- Lot of plastic journey is very closely linked to the food journey. All the packaging we get from fruits and vegetables to all packed stuff.
For me, it all started with concern on
- How to manage with limited resources for long time in lockdown ?
- What if garbage with food waste being 50% of that is not collected?
- Even if collected, it is not treated/ disposed in the appropriate manner ?
- The hazards of disposing it and effects thereof.
- At the same time the need to know what are the other uses which can help optimally utilize the resources and create minimal waste.
The supply chain thankfully kept running after initial hiccups in lockdown for most of us but this was a great learning for appreciating the entire food value chain to leftover treatment value chain.
It is quite interesting to learn that so much can be done on this:
- Food usage itself- All peels are not to be thrown.
- Leftovers as cleaners – Got introduced to #bioenzymes.
- Remaining as food for FOOD we eat- making #compost.
Link to previous day 354 : https://preetymundhra.com/2020/06/21/why-only-18-practice-composting/