The other day I was just too frustrated that I spent 2.5 hours in traffic inspite of starting early before peak hours. But then I was late. I should have started 10-15 minutes earlier. Thats the kind of impact a 10 minute delay can make to the amount of time you are going to spend on the road. This was not the first time it happened that a one hour ride took me 2.5 hours. It keeps on happening one and off, couple of times in a month, sometimes week.
Leaving early to avoid the morning traffic is in our control, but in evening it is not. You never know what last minute things might come up in the last hours. Nevertheless in evening it’s very difficult to escape the traffic as most of the offices closing time is similar and leaving early is not the option available to most.
In fact couple of years back, quality improvement initiative was on and while discussion on improving the productivity a suggestion on this was made. So it is basically in cities when traffics are unavoidable can we have a system wherein offices in itself agree on differential hours to help on employees avoiding the time spent on traffic.
Customer is king and competition is killing at times. So it’s not possible to make those changes if the competition is also making that.
So how to make the most of these hours spent in traffic, if we can’t control and avoid them.
· Download podcasts, songs, audio books. Listen them.
· Make your phone calls in this time.
· Do a self reflection of the day spent.
· Order your sundries or read something when the vehicle is not moving only, although would not want that situation to arise too often.
· Do palming and relax your eyes. Do wrist movement and toe movements.
· Click photos of the surroundings.
The above is just the indicative list which I thought of. You can add yours.